Friday, March 23, 2007

Amplifying CHILDREN OF MEN

Back in January, I wrote that Alfonso Cuaron’s film Children of Men was “unlike almost any other movie I’ve ever seen, on a political level, on an action level, and on an emotional level.” Next Tuesday, it’ll be available on DVD, and judging by an interview with Cuaron on Ain’t It Cool News, this is definitely something I’ll be adding to my movie library. Says the director:

“I’m very excited about the DVD because... you know, I’m not a big fan of director’s comments or behind the scenes. What I proposed for this one was a documentary. What I did is put together a social frame that we were going to deal with.

“When I set out to do Children of Men it was because I wanted to make an exploration to the state of things, to the things that are shaping the first decade of the 21st Century. In other words, shaping our future.

“So, we did a lot of research and then with this documentary we got to interview some of the thinkers that were so influential in creating the scenario for the film. A documentary version of what’s in the film.

“We interview people like Naomi Klein and James Lubbock... they talk not about the film, but about the themes that are involved in the film. I think it’s a very relevant documentary. I’m very proud of it because I get to share, through the documentary, the thoughts of these amazing minds. And it’s almost like a post-apocalyptic movie!”

My review of the DVD will likely be forthcoming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home