Wednesday, April 19, 2006

How I came to love the Time Lord

First, a confession: I’ve always liked the idea of Doctor Who better than the execution of the old British series (which ran, what, more than 30 years?). And I could never stomach Tom Baker, everybody’s favorite Doctor (of 9 or 10 of 'em). But the BBC’s all-new Doctor Who series, the first season of which now runs Friday nights on SciFi Channel, is a joy. Christopher Eccleston’s interpretation of the Doctor is terrific, all grins when things are at their worst, and I’m sorry to hear he’s already dropped out of the show’s second season. Fellow-traveler Rose, played cute-as-a-button by Billie Piper (who will stick around for season two), is appropriately blonde, spunky, and devoted to the Doctor’s mission. And the special effects are top-notch.

Last Friday’s episode, sixth of the first thirteen, was titled “Dalek,” and it’s set the show’s high-water mark for the time being. Yep, you heard me right — Dalek. You remember them from the old shows, right? The Daleks were a killer mutoid race, each member living in its own giant vehicular salt-shaker. Well, this outstanding episode depicted the inevitable final confrontation between the last Dalek and the last Time Lord (Doctor Who). Wonderful.

There’re only seven episodes of Doctor Who left this year; I don’t imagine season two (now showing in England) will be available in the U.S. until next spring. So catch it quickly, if you haven’t already. (By the way, if you do miss it, this first season with Eccleston will be released on DVD in July.)

4 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this one. I hated the original series. They were just wretched, imnsho. The new on is engaging and we're enjoying the heck out of it. It's too bad that Eccleston won't be back in season 2...he really makes the show. And Piper is just hot. It's nice to finally see a chick on TV who isn't anorexic.

 
At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Different strokes, I suppose.

I loved most of Tom Baker's episodes, (especially the ones written by Douglass Adams) and generally found the cheesy special effects of the old series charming.

But I agree that the new series is very good, Billie Piper is exceptionally cute, and it's a shame to hear Eccleston is leaving the series. I hope his replacement is suitable.

I still miss Lalla Ward (the second Romana), though. It would be great if she could turn up in the new series somehow.

 
At 5:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

K-9 RULES!!!!!!!

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I *loved* the original Doctor Who; without doubt a formative influence on my life. I always thought the cheerful, cosmopolitan individualism of the Doctor was one of the healthiest images of life as it should be on television. I haven't watched the new series, but can't wait to.

I greatly admired the second Romana as well; she was the only companion who was really the Doctor's equal. I wish they'd presented more of the others as like her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home