Thursday, January 19, 2006

See you next month!

I’m taking a break from blogging, emailing, and all other forms of writing for the next 17 days. Deb and I are off to Hawaii, one week in Maui followed by another in Kaua’i. And unless we decide at the very last minute to pack one of the laptops, you’ll find nothing new posted here until Monday, February 6.

Some snorkeling is planned. Some hiking. Maybe some kayaking. The usual touristy stuff. And a lot of relaxing. I’ll be taking along some Escape Pod and Spaceship Radio podcasts, as I mentioned a few days ago, plus a handful of lectures downloaded from Mises.org. And I’m sure I’ll be doing some reading; I plan to pack, at the very least, Only Child by Andrew Vachss (which I began reading this morning), At the Earth’s Core by Edgar Rice Burroughs (which I’ve been meaning to reread since the tenth grade), and James Bovard’s new one, Attention Deficit Democracy (which I’ll review here eventually).

This is my first vacation of any real length (excluding a few days here and there in places like Big Sur, Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe, and Carmel) since 1998, when we spent a month in Switzerland, Austria, and Germany.

See you early next month. I’m sure the revolution will proceed just dandy without me until then.

8 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Blogger qui roma said...

Hello, this is my photo blog, from Rome - Italy. I
f you like my city come to visit me

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a major Edgar Rice Burroughs fan as a kid, and was fascinated with the concept of a hollow earth -- which I attempted unsuccessfully to draw. (But I can take comfort in the fact that no professional artist seems to have managed it either; neither the illustrators of the Pellucidar books nor the Warlord comics actually attempt to show what a hollow earth would look like from the inside.)

Incidentally, from my admittedly limited grasp of physics I gather that if the Earth were really hollow -- which would presumably involve its being made of much more rigid material than it is now -- objects on the inside would not cling to the inside surface, but instead would float (because the greater gravitational attraction of the side they're nearer to would be perfectly offset by the fact that the amount of mass on the other side, while farther away, is larger). At least, so it would be if the Earth weren't spinning; given that it is, there'd be artificial gravity at the equator (how strong I'm not sure; can't recall the relevant formula) steadily weakening toward zero at the poles.

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Andy from Spaceship Radio, I seen that you linked to my podcast so I decided to check it out.

I run another podcast called Beyond Science and I did a interview with a guy who thinks the earth is hollow. http://www.beyondsciencepodcast.com/?p=18
I don't think I believe it, but it makes for a great story!

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

You are also welcome to grab Sunni Maravillosa's talk from the Freedom Summit, along with an interview I did with her that weekend, at PoddyTalk.

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you have a splendid time! You'll be missed, but not forgotten.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again I'll sound off on the basis of my admittedly limited knowledge of physics, but ... in order for the earth to be hollow, while still generating the same gravitational field that it now generates, it would have to be pretty massive -- i.e., the mass composing the thin hollow shell would have to be just as massive as we now think the entire solid earth is. In order for it be that massive, and yet maintain a hollow shape rather than crumpling inward under the force of its own gravity, it would have to be made of material far stronger and more rigid than -- well, than the material it's made of, and indeed than any material we know of.

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger B.W. Richardson said...

Welcome home, vacationers. It's been quiet around here ... almost ... too quiet!

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent article. I used to be looking at continuously this kind of weblog and I am inspired! Helpful details especially the final part :) My spouse and i handle such information much. I had been searching for this specific selected data for a long period. Thanks as well as all the best.Best advertising Agency in the world | top advertising agencies in pakistan | Marketing Agency | pakistani matrimonial

 

Post a Comment

<< Home